Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Importance of Music

Growing up, music was always a part of my life. I had older brothers who played in bands from the age of 10 and I always was surrounded by musicians. Out of a town of 5,000 people, I know 4 people who made a living playing music professionally. My oldest brother played music in Nashville for Shenandoa and other bands who toured with The Ranch, Keith Urban's first band in Nashville. Another friend has played for such acts as Deanna Carter, Pam Tillis, John Prine and currently plays for Gary Allen. The third friend played in several Indy bands and toured and partyed with Sweet F.A., one of the '80s Hair Metal bands. The other friend played for 10+ years for Indy-based cover band Mike & Joe. So from an early age, I was surrounded by musicians who helped form my appreciation for music.
During the '80s, I lived for Saturday nights because I was allowed to stay up until 3:00am and watch Headbangers Ball. In the 90's I got to experience the whole Seattle grunge scene during highschool and the new British invasion that consisted of Oasis, Blur, Radiohead, Stereophonics, Travis, Supergrass and The Prodigy. Nowadays I wonder where has the passion for new bands gone? The radio plays nothing but record label garbage and a "New" supergroup has yet to form. Yes, there are successful bands such as Fall Out Boy, Linkin Park and Velvet Revolver (please find a singer soon!), but there isn't that band that you can picture being around for 30+ years like Kiss, Aerosmith or The Rolling Stones.
Another gripe of mine is where are the freakin' videos? MTV and MTV2 play highschool based reality shows and that's it!!! Don't call yourself Music Television when you don't play videos! My video watching has now moved to Friday and Saturday nights watching videos on YouTube because that's the only place to watch videos and learn of new music.
I'm still waiting for that supergroup to emerge, but to be honest, I don't see it happening soon. So I guess I'll continue enjoying my favorite bands from the 80's and 90's, which isn't that bad, but I wish SOMEONE would decide to be original and produce a sound that is trendsetting, not radio friendly.

2 comments:

kell said...

headbangers ball was something great. i wasn't allowed to stay up for it, so after everyone went to bed, i'd trudge out to the living room with a blanket over myself and teevee like a tent and my brown sony headphones plugged in absorbing ever last riff and image like a sponge. hopefully something will come along soon that will be as captivating with the potential of longevity.

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to go on a rant about MTV or should we call it RTV or Reality TV. What the hell are they thinking. Start another network and call something else. But bring back MTV for it was supposed to be. Music Television. I remember the days of sitting on the couch after school watching all the new videos. Now you have to have VH1 Classic to watch a decent video or watch it on YouTube. cwade